Finals are on Sunday, March 17, 2013, at 1:00 P.M., Evans Hall, Connecticut College,
New London, CT.
- Previous First Place Prize Winners in an Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra competition are ineligible.
- Eligibility is restricted to persons born on or after March 15, 1989.
- Contestant must not be under professional management.
- A certified copy of the contestant’s birth certificate or other proof of age is required with the completed application.
- Completed applications must be received in the office on or before FRIDAY, JANUARY 25, 2013, and include a good quality CD of competition piece in its entirety. (Deadline strictly observed.) CD will be returned if a self addressed stamped mailer is enclosed. CD's must be labeled with the contestant's name, instrument and piece they are prepared to perform.
- First round is judged through the tape/CD submission. Finalists will be notified by Email or phone on Friday, February 15, 2013. A maximum number of 12 contestants will be selected for the final round.
- The contestant must appear at the final round at his/her expense. Failure to appear forfeits the contestant’s entry fee.
- Contestant MUST provide his/her own accompanist and may not participate without one. The contestant will assume any accompanist fees. The Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra office can supply a list of accompanists if you cannot find your own.
- Works must be those originally written for solo instrument and standard symphony orchestra. Transposition or arrangements are not permitted.
- The contestant must perform all movements on the CD. She/he must perform the same piece with the orchestra should that opportunity arise unless the Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra Music Director asks for a substitution. The contestant should be prepared to play any movement or portion of any movement at the direction of the judges.
- The first prize winner will receive a cash award of $ 3,000 and a possible appearance as guest soloist with the orchestra. Second prize will be a $1,500 cash award. Third prize will be a $750 cash award.
- The decisions of the judges shall be final and accepted by all entrants.
- A non-refundable registration fee of $50 must accompany a completed application.
- Competition auditions are open to the public; therefore appropriate dress is suggested.